South Africa is a must for any career break journey as it’s full of dramatic scenery, incredible wildlife and rich in cultural history, also known as the Rainbow Nation. Check out a few interesting facts about this wonderful country which should get you inspired to visit on your career break.
1. Table Mountain in Cape Town is believed to be one of the oldest mountains in the world and inhabits over 1,500 species of plants, more than the entire United Kingdom!
2. South Africa has the longest wine route in the world – Route 62, Western Cape.
3. South Africa is the second largest exporter of fruit in the world.
4. South Africa is the only country in the world to have two Nobel peace prize winners who had houses on the same street. The street in question is Vilakazi Street in Soweto, and the Nobel prize winners were Nelson Mandela and Archbishop Desmond Tutu.
5. The Vredefort Dome is the largest and oldest meteor site in the world and now a UNESCO site.
6. South Africa has the most official languages in the world. The 11 official languages are: English, Afrikaans, isiZulu, isiXhosa, Sesotho, Setswana, Sepedi, Xitsonga, siSwati, isiNdebele and Tshivenda.
7. South Africa is home to the second highest waterfall in the world, the Tugela Falls, at 850m.
8. South Africa is the only country in the world to voluntarily abandon it’s nuclear weapons program.
9. South Africa is home to the youngest language in the world – Afrikaans which was as an official language in 1925.
10. There are more than 2000 shipwrecks off the coast of South Africa, most of which are over 500 years old.
Visit our South Africa section to get ideas for your career break journey.